Dogs can eat sweet potatoes and many dogs find them delicious. Dehydrated Sweet potatoes are very close to being fresh , they are simply dehydrated to preserve all the nutrients , as the water is vaporized.
Sweet potatoes are very good for dogs as a treat. They are primarily carbohydrates so play safe and limit the amount to your dog’s diet. Sugars have the same effect on dogs as humans, too much will turn in to fats.
Summarized key benefits of sweet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes are safe for dogs and have many health benefits.
- They have a sweet flavor, which some dogs love.
- Sweet Potatoes support the digestive system by being high in fiber , witch is essential for healthy digestion and bowel movements.
- They are very low in fat.
- Sweet Potatoes are rich in carbohydrates mainly from starch
- They are rich in Vitamin C and A . Furthermore there is a generous amount of Vitamin B6 in them. These vitamins support healthy Vision , Coat , muscle and intestine functions.
- The trace minerals are found in Sweet potato's are potassium, calcium, iron and manganese. Trace minerals are essential for cell reproduction, coat and functionality of intestines.
- They have beta-carotene which is an antioxidant. Beta-carotene converts to Vitamin A in your dog’s body, which is essential for vision, growth, and muscle strength and better the fur. There is research about beta-carotene aiding in killing cancer , and prevent heart diseases in humans.
- Furthermore, they are a natural energy source. And as natural as a treat can get.
By Snorri Halldorsson
Seafood Science Expert,Director of R&D at TickledPet